Friday, June 27, 2008

Still searching

I have the schedule time for a job next semester, but no job yet. Sadness.

Found this song by Mary Fahl, "Going Home", which is the opening song for Gods and Generals. It was a nice touch, but I think that if The Last Full Measure was made, it might have been more appropriate to use it then.

The point is that the song kind of got me thinking about what home really is for me. Not too clear cut for your average third-culture kid, unfortunately.
I guess by logic it would be either a) your birthplace, or b) the place where you spent most of your years.
a) is right out for me, since I haven't been back to my birthplace for 14 years (closest I got was probably Durham).
b)? Hong Kong? Possibly, considering my family is based here. But I don't know sometimes....I've been wanting to leave Hong Kong ever since we started applying to colleges, and now that I'm back here, I feel like I want to go back to the US soon. Hm.

My mum was asking me if I could come back to Hong Kong next summer. I told her I was going to try and find an internship in the US instead, and then she asked when she was going to see me again. I honestly don't know. That's the kicker. I will miss my family, and I feel a bit guilty that I might not see them for a while after Christmas, but I don't want to keep going back to Hong Kong every summer. I want to get away. Travel a little bit, work and live by myself in some place I haven't visited yet. Maybe I'll go back home after graduation. Wherever home is.

No comments: