Friday, April 25, 2008

Stick 'em up

Cliché title aside, the crime on campus is starting to scare me a bit. It's one thing if you're walking alone at 3am on Vermont, but studying in VKC at 11pm is another.

On the subject of crime in schools: I've been reading that some schools are lobbying for students to carry concealed guns on campus. Aside from my first reaction, which was absolute terror because sitting in a classroom full of concealed guns that is not a police seminar personally freaks me out, I was wondering: how many places are considering allowing faculty to conceal-carry, but not all students? (ROTC/auxiliary police/army personnel students excepted, when out of uniform.) That could ensure at least one armed person in the room, although it could also paint a bulls-eye on them for a shooter who knows the regulations.

I'm not fully up to date with the interpretations of the 2nd amendment, so I would appreciate opinions on this, since I'm going to be here for at least another 3 years. USC has been fairly lucky so far...

No comments: