Monday, December 29, 2008

Cardiff-Lake District-Scotland

Hello from the freezing (except for those in the Midwest I presume) cold part of the world. I spent a nice Christmas down in Wales, then headed up to the Lakes for a couple of nights and now I'm in Scotland and will be for New Years. I spend most of my days eating and the rest of the time in a post-food coma, hence a vicious cycle of getting progressively fat.

Between Birmingham and now, I realised one thing that I had completely forgotten during my end-of-semester reminiscing and should have figured out after this summer in Colorado: being the only person under 50 for the better part of a 2.5 week holiday can really, really, epically, suck.

Much as I love my family and family friends, between the several maternal (and the odd paternal) figures discussing and advising about life, love, marriage, and looking after your parents when you and they get older, I'm starting to go batshit insane. Taking any advice from the parents has also become several degrees more difficult with each year; yes I know I can put on my hat if my ears are cold, yes I do have a hat, no I don't think I need it right now, yes I will eventually give you pocket money, but not until I can look after MYSELF first. Of course I'm the good daughter, mainly because I don't cause trouble, because I just shut up and sit there awkwardly instead of snapping back and then feeling guilty afterwards.
(I'm fairly sure my parents aren't as overbearing as most, I just have a pretty short fuse sometimes.)

Sigh. Filial piety clashing with desire for more independence.

No comments: