Friday, March 7, 2008

The drawbacks of a mild climate

Being British, at least one of my posts has to be about the weather, no?

It's most likely because I'm not from around here, but I can pretty much count the number of weeks I haven't been sick while at USC on one hand. If it's not the varying degrees of the common cold, then it's the mysterious chest-rattling cough, the sore throat, or the voice that decides to take a holiday after a football game.

California weather is definitely milder compared to Hong Kong. You don't get the monsoons where your school floods and every road that's on an incline of more than 10ยบ becomes a flash flood, or the typhoons (hurricanes to you) that threaten to rip off your windows and separate your head from your neck if you're daring enough to step out during Signal 8. Nope, it's nice to have a dry sunny climate during August for a change.

Bad thing is, it gets much colder at night than what I'm used to. One minute you're in a T-shirt and thinking it's too hot, then the next it's ARGH I'M FREEZING. And I'm still trying to adjust so that I wear the right number of layers of clothing for the right kind of weather. So far, I'm failing miserably. And the climate's deceptive. A spell of fine sunny weather, with very little change, and you get lulled into a false sense of security, then Mother Nature decides to strike. The fact that nearly all the rainy days I experienced last semester happened to be on days with band related activities is evidence that God, or Mother Nature, is a comedien/ne with a very interesting and somewhat sadistic sense of humour. At least I didn't have to pay for dry-cleaning.

And I'm out. I have Shinkendo in less than an hour; bring a jacket or no? Whichever I choose, I'll probably get it wrong once I step out.

P.S. Could someone help me with the spacing on my posts? After the first paragraph, everything gets squished together.

1 comment:

Jax said...

i wonder if there's an html thing to control the spacing... ill research