Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sink me, mon cheri! Le fanfiction!

I was searching for old files to delete so I could have enough room to back up my current (and more important) stuff, and I found some old fanfics of mine that never quite saw the light of day. Some were a couple of half-finished stories, others were plot outlines, and still others were words or phrases that were supposed to be reminders of plots that sounded vaguely interesting but were not fleshed out enough. All belonged to either Les Miserables or The Scarlet Pimpernel.

I'm actually considering taking up some of these plot lines and writing them out. Obviously the ideas I have won't be exactly the same as my 16 year old brain, but it's worth a shot. There is one particular plot involving madness in the Blakeney family, but I can't for the life of me remember how it was supposed to go. I did, however, write down something about how it was going to end, which is weird.

This is merely a writing exercise; I don't intend for these stories to be published for the time being. (Of course, now that I've blogged about it, I really should post them eventually.) It's a mix of serious and light-hearted stuff, no romance or horror.

It's also a little journey back again into memory lane, when I was at the height of my Les Miz/fanfiction/musicals obsession. The passion has cooled down to about 50ยบ now, and I've moved on to other interests for the most part. In a way, I miss the insane love for Les Miz and musicals, which has become more of a detached appreciation, but I care less for fanfiction. Especially fanfiction.net. I have not visited that place for years, mainly because I'm scared of what I'm going to find there. And even then, I'd probably only dare to look in the comedy section. I seem to have a degenerated attention span, since I can read long works of humour fanfiction, but balk at reading long works of drama or adventure fanfiction. I swear it used to be the other way round.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have time to write when I'm not cranking out papers or cramming for tests. I certainly do have moments, otherwise I would not be blogging.

2 comments:

fatpinkchicken said...

Oh my God, fan fiction! I can't mock you, because I freaking LOVE The Scarlet Pimpernel (musical and book) and also, I used to write extensive Harry Potter fan fiction for my brother.

He didn't like reading anything but HP and when we were waiting for the 5th book to come out, I wrote my own version of how the story would continue for him to enjoy.

Jax said...

ya, if it weren't for the ridiculous amount of everything, I would probably be writing something too. Actually kind of interested in hard sci-fi right now, very interesting... I should post something about it... but alas, I have calculus in 15 minutes and physics final, an hour after that...