Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Who wears the trousers?

I was reading the newsletter distributed by the Office of International Services, and the feature article was the viewpoints of international graduate students on the upcoming election.

I'll quote once I get hold of another copy (I threw the first one away by mistake), but basically the Indian students said that they were surprised that some of their American counterparts would not vote for Clinton because she was a woman. In India, female and minority officials have been elected for a number of years already with no question on whether their status affects their performance, and the students expected that American ideas would be more liberal.

I'm not going to comment much on this, but I was reminded of a joke I found a while back (context, 1980s...oh and I'm paraphrasing again). 

A Brit is applying for a job, and during the interview, the manager asks him, as a final question, whether he would be comfortable working under a female CEO.

The man replies,

"We have a queen on the throne for the fifth time, we have a female Prime Minister, and I've been married for 20 years. I know how to take orders from a woman."

He got the job.
-----------------------------
I've decided to include a pic of something random when I post. Just little things I find interesting/cute.



Pigeon bathing in the reflecting pool

No comments: