Saturday, March 1, 2008

photo

I seem to be incapable of projecting my own thoughts in the form of print without using something else as a medium to analyse/act as a memory jog/take the place of what I wanted to say. Anyway.

For the record, the photo that serves as my title background is one I took myself, back in April when I was visiting universities. And the figure walking pensively on the beach? That's my dad. He just happened to be in front of me as I was going shutter-crazy and taking random photos of the Newport sunset. And a lot of the photos I took reminded me of those inspirational postcards, where the sun blares out from a gap within the clouds and stuff like that. So I swung the camera over to where Dad was, and clicked the shutter.

I think it captures a facet of him pretty well. Lost in thought in the middle of nature's wonders. Mum says that I tend to walk almost exactly like him; that's probably because when the family's walking in a group, for some reason I always end up 100 feet ahead walking with my dad and chatting about random topics. Probably copied his walking style unconsciously from there. Mum finds it hilarious.

I wish I had more of his brains though. 

I also wish I'd spent more time with him when I went back for the holidays. Because when I found that photo again, I remember those walks along the beach or down country paths, and the talks. Sometimes I don't even remember what we were talking about exactly, but I remember listening and not growing tired of it. (This is a far cry from 10 years ago when I would run from the room the minute Dad started giving a lecture in response to one of my simple questions.) 

That's what I plan to do when I go back home this summer: just take a walk somewhere, and chat. Just a little thing, really. But see, I may not go back home after sophomore year, not if I'm looking for an internship. I still have the memories from previous years. But I'd like one more. 

No comments: